Tales from admin…
The reality of sending email alerts out for missing dogs…
In the last month 83,602 missing email alerts sent to our members to share….How is this done..automation? Well not really…here is the recipe…
1 collins postcode atlas.
1 wall mounted 3′ x 5′ map of london postcodes.
1 magnifying glass.
Huge amounts of patience!
- Select dog , Open postcode atlas or refer to wall map if in London. Select postcode and use magnifying glass to locate place missing from….Check postcode is correct. Put a dot in the book/Map on the place name, write down all the postcodes surrounding that postcode within a specified distance.
2. Add to dogs profile all Postcodes to be notified in numerical order.
3. Open up admin pages…select dogs name…and manually select all the postcodes to be alerted one by one from the drop down list of Postcode areas. ( bear in mind this list runs into 1,000’s) If in London you can be scrolling up and down like mad to encompass surrounding postcode areas…
4. Press send. Hopefully before the phone rings so you dont loose them all as admin logs out if not active for a short amount of time.
This is why the need for the answerphone…As dont want to loose a mailing half way through…I am nearly always in the office and will phone back as soon as I can.
5. Repeat above process up to 30 plus times a day.
You can imagine how many postcode books we get through a year from wear and tear!