Cat and dog start two kitchen fires in Kent in under a week

Pets have caused two house fires in Kent in less than a week, the county’s fire service has said.

On Tuesday in Sittingbourne, Moss – a border collie – jumped up to reach some leftovers and turned on three gas rings, two of which ignited.

Owner Jane Hammond-Hawkins said: “Never ever in a million years did I think a dog would set fire to my kitchen.”

Four days earlier, a cat stepped on a gas cooker ignition button in Boughton Monchelsea, setting fire to a towel.

Mrs Hammond-Hawkins needed hospital treatment after the lit gas rings set fire to a cushioned tray that had been left on the hob, Kent Fire and Rescue Service said.

Two adults and two children escaped unhurt from the fire caused by the cat in Boughton Monchelsea.

Leave a reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.